driving test

Do you need insurance to take a driving test?

Whether you’ve just turned 17 and are looking forward to your first taste of freedom or you’re one of an increasing number of people who are learning to drive later in life, preparing to take your driving test is an exciting milestone.

Whilst you’ve probably already got your provisional licence, and maybe you’ve booked a driving lesson or two, you might not have given much thought to car insurance.

But with our guide to learner insurance, you’ll know definitively if you’ll need insurance to take a driving test when the big day comes.

What is learner car insurance?

Learner car insurance is a special type of policy designed specifically for learner drivers.

It’s designed like normal car insurance and will cover you to drive your car, or another person’s when you practise.

Learner policies tend to be super flexible. You can even get cover just for one day if you’re getting in some extra driving with a friend or family member before your test.

Do I need insurance for driving lessons in an instructor’s car?

If you’ve opted to learn solely with a qualified instructor in their car, then you don’t need to worry about car insurance. Part of your lesson fee includes your cover.

Before your first lesson, your instructor should check your provisional licence details as this will impact what vehicles you’re allowed to drive.

Do I need insurance for learning in someone else’s car?

Yes. If you’re learning to drive in someone else’s car, even if you’re also having lessons with a qualified instructor, you will need insurance.

However, there are two options.

  1. Take out a learner car insurance policy. This will provide you with the cover to drive someone else’s car, as long as you’re accompanied by someone who’s at least 25 years old and hold a full, valid licence for the type of vehicle being driven. If you want to drive more than one vehicle, you will need to take out additional policies for each one.
  2. Get added to the vehicle owner’s policy. If you’re practising in a family member’s car, for example, they can add you to their insurance policy, however, this will increase the holder’s premium. In addition, if you have an accident, it could impact their no claims bonus. A no claims bonus is where an insurance policy holder receives cheaper insurance rates depending on how many years they’ve legally driven without making a claim.

Do I need insurance if I’m learning in my car?

Yes. If you have a car that’s registered in your name, you’ll need to take out learner insurance, but you won’t need any other insurance for the vehicle.

To be eligible for Dayinsure learner insurance, you must meet certain criteria including:

  • Be aged between 17 and 35
  • Hold a current provisional UK driving licence
  • Be a permanent UK resident

Your vehicle must also:

  • Be registered in the UK
  • Have a current market value of less than £40,000
  • Not have more than 7 seats (including the driver’s seat)

For a full criteria list, visit our learner insurance acceptance criteria page before getting your quote.

Does a passenger with a learner driver need insurance?

Learning drivers can only drive when accompanied by someone who meets certain criteria. A passenger sitting next to a learner driver is considered a supervisor, as long as they’re over 21 and have held a full, valid UK driver’s licence for at least three years.

If the vehicle being driven belongs to the passenger, then either they will need to add the learner driver to their policy as a named driver, or the learner driver should take out specific cover.

You should also check the terms of the policy. There could be several restrictions that could invalidate the insurance if they’re ignored. Typically, if the policyholder is not the registered keeper of the car, no cover is provided for any loss or damage that occurs between 00:00 hours and 06:00 hours.

For more information and frequently asked learner driver questions, head over to our help and support hub.

Do I need car insurance to take a driving test?

If you’re taking your test in your driving instructor’s car, then you won’t need to purchase any insurance. Just like you were covered during your driving lessons, the cost of your insurance will be included in the fee you’ll pay for using your instructor’s car.

However, if you’re taking your test in your own car or in a friend or family member’s car you will need insurance. If the car is registered in your name, learner insurance will cover you. If you’re driving someone else’s car, you can either take out learner insurance, or they can add you as a named driver to their policy.

Is my car insured for a driving test?

If you’ve taken out learner insurance, then the cover will also cover you for a driving test – but you should always double-check the terms and conditions before you book the test.

As soon as you’ve passed your test, you will need to let your insurance company know, as learner insurance does not cover qualified drivers, so you’ll need to have different insurance to drive back from the test centre.

Does having an accident as a learner driver affect my insurance?

Every road user has a duty of care – even learner drivers. If you have an accident whilst learning to drive, you must follow the same procedure as if you held a full driving licence.

Following an accident, the basic cost of your premium is likely to increase, even if the accident wasn’t your fault. Once you have passed your test, you should disclose to your insurer the details of any accidents you’ve had.

What happens if I have an accident with an uninsured driver?

Sadly, not every road user is a responsible, law-abiding citizen. According to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), every 20 minutes someone is injured by an uninsured or untraced driver.

If you’ve been in an accident with an uninsured driver, you should call your insurance company as soon as possible as you may be able to claim compensation from the MIB.

Does failing a driving test affect insurance?

No. Failing a driving test should not affect your insurance policy, even if you fail multiple times. However, you have two years from the date you pass your theory test to pass your practical test, otherwise, you will have to retake the theory.

You will also need to renew your provisional licence after 10 years if you haven’t passed within that time.

How can Dayinsure help?

Dayinsure is one of the UK’s leading providers of short-term car insurance, so getting your learner’s insurance through us means you’ll get one of the most comprehensive policies on the market.

We partner with Aviva, so you know you’re getting a robust, yet flexible policy.

If you’re ready to turn those ‘L’ plates into ‘P’ plates, we’ve got you covered. Get your quote today.