Learner Driver Information

Learning to drive and need insurance?

From insuring your own car to borrowing someone else’s car for driving practice, get the extra practice you need to pass your test with ease. Here are our top questions frequently asked about our learner driver policies to help you get the cover you need.


Learner FAQs

Does the car I’m driving need to be insured annually?

If you’re borrowing the car from another driver, then it must be insured annually and remain insured for the period of the learner driver policy. If you’re insuring your own car, that is owned and registered in your name, there doesn’t need to be any other insurance on the car.

Will this policy appear on the MID?

We guarantee to update the Motor Insurance Database (MID) every 7 days and in some cases more often but we always recommend always having a copy of your Insurance Certificate with you during the period of cover. You can drive the vehicle legally between the dates and times shown on the insurance certificate issued to you when the insurance was completed.

Can I insure my own car?

Yes. If you’re insuring your own car there doesn’t need to be any other insurance on the vehicle. However, the car must be owned and registered in your name for you to be able to complete the insurance process.

Can I insure a borrowed car?

Yes; however the vehicle must be annually insured in someone else’s name for the duration of the learner policy in order for you to drive it. However, you must declare to us that you are not the registered keeper of the car.

What happens when I pass my test?

When you pass your test, all cover under your learner driver policy stops immediately. You will need to have different insurance to drive your vehicle back from the test centre. If there are days left on your policy, you can cancel the policy and you’ll get a refund for the full days you haven’t used. To cancel, send us an email and don’t forget to include your policy number.

Do you have any restrictions on the type of cars you cover?

Yes, the car needs to be UK registered, it can’t be a hire or rental car, it can’t be in a police impound and must have a current market value of £40,000 or less. You’ll be asked to make sure the vehicle meets all the terms of the insurance before you buy the policy, and you can read the terms here.

Can I drive on the motorway?

Learner drivers can take driving lessons on motorways in England, Scotland and Wales. However, the learner driver must be driving a car fitted with dual controls and be accompanied by an approved driving instructor. You can find full guidance about the laws of learner motorway driving on the Government website.


Can I change my policy at any point?

You can’t make any changes to your policy one it has begun, but you can cancel your policy and purchase a replacement with the right details. You’ll be entitled to a refund of any full days left on your policy, and there’s no cancellation charge.

Can I cancel my policy?

There are two options for you to use to Cancel a live Dayinsure policy.

Option 1 – Please sign into your Dayinsure Customer Access account – Click on the Cancel button of the live policy you would like to cancel and follow the on screen instructions.

Option 2 – Click on the document link provided in our confirmation email – Click on the Cancel button and then follow the on screen instructions.

For further information about the Dayinsure Refund Policy click here.

Can I extend my policy?

You can’t extend the existing policy, but you can take out another policy to start when the current one ends, this way there will be no gap in your cover.

Is there a curfew on this product?

If you are using your own car, you’re only insured to drive and learn under supervision between 6am and midnight. There’s no cover between midnight and 6am if you’re insuring your own car and the car will be insured against any damages that might happen to the vehicle while it’s parked.

Will this affect my No Claims Bonus?

A Dayinsure policy won’t affect any No Claims Bonus you might have already or that of anyone else insured on the vehicle. You can’t accrue any No Claims Bonus using a short-term insurance policy.

Does this policy cover anyone else to drive the car?

The Dayinsure Learner policy only provides cover for the learner driver to drive the vehicle, there’s no cover for anyone else to drive unless they take out a separate policy on the car.

Does this insurance cover me to take my test?

Yes, if you’re taking your test in the car specified on this policy. But please remember that our cover stops as soon as you pass your test – so you will need to have different insurance to drive back from the test centre.

Who can supervise me in the car?

The accompanying driver must be at aged between 25 and 75 and have held a full UK driving licence for at least 3 years, or your supervised driving instructor can accompany you in the car.


Our Helpful Guides

Guide to learner driver insurance

If you’ve got a provisional licence or are thinking of getting one, then you’ll need to give some thought to arranging insurance before you can get out driving. This article lays out your options, and their pros and cons. Driving instructors Almost all driving instructors carry their own insurance which allows any driver to drive […]

Read more