Driving towards the Colosseum in Rome

Temporary European car insurance

At Dayinsure, we offer comprehensive, short-term European car insurance for those taking a trip to Europe. Whether you are embarking on a road trip to see all of the amazing attractions Europe has to offer or taking a business trip, you can be safe in knowing that you have a comprehensive level of cover for the duration of your journey.

Since you only pay for the cover you need, temporary car insurance to drive in Europe is a cost-effective option when insuring your car.

Does your car insurance cover you in Europe?

Does my UK car insurance cover me in Europe?

Before your trip starts, organising the proper insurance is imperative. The best way to check if your current annual insurance covers you to drive is to call your insurance provider. They will be able to explain to you whether your current policy extends your cover across EU countries and Europe.

They will also be able to provide you with a green card should you need it. A green card details the countries outside the European Union where you are covered to travel.

Do you need extra insurance to drive in Europe?

Even if your cover does extend to driving in Europe, you may want to look into purchasing extra European cover insurance to get comprehensive cover. Depending on your insurance provider, overseas cover may only extend as far as third-party cover and if there is an accident you may still end up paying big. By purchasing short term EU car insurance, you can guarantee you are fully covered, giving you peace of mind.

Driving in Paris

How does temporary European car insurance work?

What do I need to get cover?

To be eligible for our temporary European car insurance, you must:

  • have a valid driving licence from the UK, EU, EEA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or Switzerland
  • be aged between 18 and 75 years
  • have a current, permanent address

For more information on who is eligible for insurance, be sure to consult our car insurance acceptance criteria.

How long can I get cover for?

Whether you are travelling for a week, 28 days or just looking for day insurance, European cover from Dayinsure can make sure you have motor insurance for the exact duration of your trip. If you are just popping over to France for a day, our 1-day European car insurance can help, but for longer trips, our short term car insurance can extend to 28 days (although additional policies can be taken out to cover you for longer.)

With maximum cover lasting 112 days over a rolling 12-month period, you will have plenty of time to explore all that Europe has to offer.

Car in Europe

Things to know before driving in Europe

Can I drive in the EU with a UK driving licence?

A UK driving licence will mean you are eligible to drive elsewhere, however, you may also need an international driving permit. Known as an IDP, whether or not you’ll need a permit will depend on where you are travelling and for how long, but if required it is essential that you have one.

Consult the Gov website to find out whether you will need a permit.

What additional features do I need to drive in Europe?

Depending on where you drive, you may need additional features or some additional accessories in your vehicle when travelling in Europe. For example, in many European countries you’ll need to display a GB sticker on the back of your vehicle. You may also need other things like a hi-vis warning triangle or breathalyser kit, depending on where you travel.

What are the best European countries to drive in?

Wondering which countries you should visit on your European road trip? In our article, the best European countries to drive in, we ranked each country on a range of factors to discover the best, ready for you to craft the perfect road trip itinerary.

How should you drive your car in Europe?

Europe is a big place, and from country to country there are a lot of changes in driving style, driving laws and terrains. If you are about to take your first trip to Europe, or perhaps just want to brush up on your skills before your next exploration, check out our complete beginner’s guide to driving abroad.

Our temporary car insurance options are fantastic for your needs. Whether attending a conference in France for business or organising a month-long European road trip, we will be able to insure you so all you need to worry about is where to visit first.