two ladies viewing an ipad next to a car

Guide to temporary car insurance eligibility

Taking out a temporary car insurance policy  is a great way to get short-term cover on a borrowed vehicle. But how do you know if you’re eligible for a temporary policy? Our guide includes everything you need to know about temporary car insurance eligibility.

Can I get temporary car insurance?

You might want to take out a temporary car insurance policy if you’re borrowing a car for a trip, sharing the driving with a friend or if yours is in the garage. In fact, there are a variety of situations where you might need temporary cover for a set period of time.

Our uses of temporary car insurance guide features a list of the reasons why you might choose to take out short-term cover.

But how do you know if you’re eligible to take out temporary insurance? Most providers have a list of acceptance criteria which tells you whether you’ll be eligible for a policy. These include factors such as:

  • Your age: most companies offer temporary car insurance for those aged between 18 and 75
  • Your driving licence: you’ll usually need a full GB driver’s licence. In many cases, you’ll need to have held this for a minimum of six months. At Dayinsure, if you’re over 25 you’ll only need a minimum of three months as a fully qualified driver
  • Address: you’ll need to have a permanent UK address
  • Penalty points: many providers require that you have a maximum number of penalty points, which can vary depending on their terms.

Criminal convictions: companies often require that temporary car insurance customers have do not have any unspent criminal convictions (except motor offences). Read our guide to temporary car insurance for convicted drivers to find out more. Of course, it goes without saying that you’ll need permission from the vehicle owner to drive their car.

Check out our other guides to for some essential tips and advice.

Can I get temporary car insurance on any vehicle?

Usually, most cars can be covered with a temporary insurance policy. Dayinsure’s criteria state that the vehicle:

  • Must be registered in Great Britain (Aviva policies extend to NI and Isle of Mann)
  • Has a current market value of under £75,000
  • Must be less than 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW)
  • Is not a HGV
  • Has an engine size of 3999cc or less
  • Has no engine modifications or body kits (excluding manufacturer extras or those fitted for mobility assistance)
  • Has no more than eight seats (seven, if we offer you a Mulsanne policy)
  • Is not a hire or rental vehicle
  • Has not been imported from another country
  • Is not seized or in a police compound.

Other providers’ vehicle criteria might vary so it’s important to check the details before insuring a car with temporary cover.

Can I get temporary car insurance on a friend’s car?

As long as you and your vehicle meets the acceptance and underwriting criteria, and you’ve been given permission to borrow the car, then you should be able to take out temporary car insurance on a friend or family member’s car. It’s important to check that the car you’re looking to insure is taxed and has a valid MOT certificate.

Take a look at our guide to borrowing a car from friends and family in Great Britain.

Can I get temporary car insurance without main insurance?

While you do not need an annual, or main, insurance policy to take out temporary car insurance, any vehicle needs to be insured, or registered as SORN, at all times.

Temporary car insurance can be an ideal form of cover if you’re between policies or know you’ll only have use of a vehicle for a short period of time. Most policies provide fully comprehensive insurance, so you’ll get the same level of cover as that of an annual policy.

You don’t need main insurance to take out temporary cover but the owner of the vehicle must ensure that the car is insured at all times, regardless of who’s borrowing it.

Can I get temporary car insurance at 18?

The minimum age for taking out temporary cover can vary depending on the provider but most, including Dayinsure, insure drivers aged from 18.

Eligibility criteria are often different for vehicles such as vans, motorhomes and campervans. Learner driver insurance is usually available for learner drivers aged 17 and over. At Dayinsure, we provide temporary learner cover for those aged between 17 and 50 so, if you’re learning to drive and want some experience in a family member’s car (or your own),  our short-term learner cover is ideal.

Can I get temporary car insurance if I’ve just passed my test?

This depends on the company’s terms and eligibility criteria. Many providers will want you to have had your full licence for a minimum of three to six months, often depending on your age.

While temporary learner driver insurance is a great way to get cover when learning to drive, it’s important to remember that, once you pass your test, your policy is no longer valid. If you’re planning on driving the vehicle once you have your full licence, it’s vital that you take out the right insurance to cover this.

I’ve been refused temporary car insurance, why is this?

If you’re wondering why you can’t get temporary car insurance, it could be due to one of a few reasons relating to eligibility or the vehicle itself.

It’s important to ensure you meet the insurance provider’s criteria and the vehicle fits the requirements. Some of the main reasons for not meeting the eligibility include:

  • Being a new driver
  • Your age
  • Your occupation
  • Having driving convictions
  • Vehicle modifications
  • A vehicle worth over £75,000
  • Having been refused car insurance previously.

There might also be other reasons for being refused short-term cover. In most cases, it’s up to the underwriter to decide on terms and conditions so the temporary car insurance company might not be able to give you any more information.

For more information, take a look at our guide: Uses of temporary car insurance.

How to check your eligibility

Most temporary car insurers include a list of criteria on their website which will help you work out if you’re eligible to take out short-term cover. Dayinsure’s Aviva and Mulsanne acceptance criteria can be used  to assess your eligibility for car, van and motorhome cover.

Fully comprehensive, temporary cover for most drivers

Our temporary car insurance covers most drivers and the majority of vehicles and can be taken out for a set period of time, from one hour up to 30 days. You can take out a policy alongside annual cover or as a standalone policy if you’re borrowing a car from someone else.

It’s easy to get a quote online and you could be covered in minutes.

To discover more tips on taking out temporary cover, essential driving advice and helpful guides, head to our Help and Support page .