- Insurance for up to 1 month.
- Quick and easy application process.
- Can be insured within 15 minutes.
Temporary Car Insurance for International Tourists
At Dayinsure we offer tourist car insurance for overseas visitors to the UK, whether you need cover for a couple of days or one month. Temporary car insurance for foreign drivers can be essential if you’re borrowing a car to visit friends and family in the UK, making a business trip, sharing driving responsibilities or are in the process of moving to the UK.
There are many benefits of temporary cover for international drivers that our insurance offers. Applying for comprehensive cover for foreign drivers is not only cost-effective but quick and easy, starting within 15 minutes of booking your short-term car insurance. Policies are standalone, so there will be no impact on your insurance premium or No Claims Discount (NCD) with free legal expenses cover included too.
Which International Licences Do You Accept?
As long as your journey begins and ends in the UK, we accept the following foreign licences when providing temporary car insurance for overseas visitors to UK destinations:
- European Union (EU) Licences.
The EU consists of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and, of course, the UK. Find out more about temporary car insurance for European drivers.
- European Economic Area (EEA) Licences. The EEA consists of three countries that are not in the EU: Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
- New Zealand
- South Africa
Driving licences from countries not listed above are unfortunately not accepted at this time when applying for UK car insurance for non-residents.
Are driving Licences from Non-UK Residents Accepted?
Yes. Subject to acceptance criteria, Dayinsure offer temporary car insurance for non-UK residents, but please note:
- Your vehicle journey must start and end in the UK.
- If you’re a non-UK licence holder, you must have a licence issued from any of the following regions/countries: the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
- We do NOT cover imported or non-UK registered vehicles.
What Do I Need to Apply?
If you require UK car insurance and are not a UK resident or UK licence holder, you will be required to submit some additional information:
- The country issuing your driving licence.
- The MRZ (machine readable zone) number from your passport highlighted below.
[The MRZ number consists of two rows of characters and is located at the bottom of the photo page of your passport, please enter the bottom row as highlighted above]
- In addition, you must also have been driving for at least six months or three months if you’re over 25 years of age.
International Driving Permit
An International Driving Permit, or IDP as they’re also known, is a multi-language translation of your driving licence recognised across the world.
Please note – An IDP is NOT to be confused with your standard country issued driving licence.
An IDP is usually required alongside your regular driving licence when driving outside of the UK and the rest of Europe.
Dayinsure do NOT accept the International Driving Permit when applying for car insurance for international drivers in the UK.