Temp car insurance for international drivers

At Dayinsure we offer car insurance for overseas visitors to the UK, whether you need cover for a couple of days to one month. Temporary car insurance for international drivers can be essential if you’re borrowing a car to visit friends and family in the UK, making a business trip or need to share driving responsibilities.

There are many benefits of the car insurance for international drivers we provide. Applying for car insurance for foreign drivers is quick and easy and can start within 15 minutes of booking. Policies are standalone, so there will be no impact on your No Claims Discount (NCD) with free legal expenses cover included too.

Discover more about temporary car insurance for international drivers.

Which International Licences Do You Accept?

As long as your journey begins and ends in the UK, we accept the following international licences when providing temporary car insurance for overseas visitors to UK destinations:

European Union (EU) Licences.

The EU consists of Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and, of course, the UK.

  • European Economic Area (EEA) Licences. The EEA consists of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
  • Switzerland.
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • South Africa

Licences from countries not listed above are unfortunately not accepted at this time, when applying for UK car insurance for non-residents.

Do You Accept Licences from Non-UK Residents?

Yes. Subject to acceptance criteria, we offer temporary car insurance for non-UK residents, but please note:

  • Your vehicle journey must start and end in the UK.
  • If you’re a non-UK licence holder, you must have a licence from any of the following regions/countries: the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
  • We do NOT cover imported, or non-UK registered vehicles.
  • What Do You Need?

    If you require UK car insurance for non-residents and you are not a UK licence holder, you will be required to enter some additional information:

    • Country issuing your driving licence.
    • The MRZ (machine readable zone) number from your passport.

    [The MRZ number consists of two rows of characters and is located at the bottom of the photo page of your passport, please enter the bottom row as highlighted above]

    • In addition, you must also have been driving for at least six months. This is reduced to 3 months if you’re over 25 years of age.

    International Driving Permit

    An International Driving Permit, or IDP as they’re also known, is a multi-language translation of your driving licence recognised across the world.

    Please note – An IDP is NOT to be confused with your standard country issued driving licence.

    An IDP is usually required alongside your regular driving licence when driving outside of the UK and the rest of Europe.

    Dayinsure do NOT accept the International Driving Permit when applying for car insurance for overseas visitors to the UK.