If you are a young driver who is looking for car insurance but doesn’t want to take out a full annual policy, then our temporary car insurance for under 21s is perfect for you. Whatever the reason is that you don’t need an annual policy, our temporary car insurance deals can help you save money, offer you peace of mind and can get you behind the wheel in no time.
When you just need short term cover, putting in the time and effort it takes to get an annual policy can not only be expensive, but it can be needless. Whether you are just looking for cheap one day car insurance for under 21s, or you are looking for 28 days of temporary cover, we can help.
What is a young driver?
According to the Department for Transport, a young driver is one between the ages of 17 and 24 years old. In most cases, any driver under the age of 25 will face a higher policy cost because of their age. In fact, Money Saving Expert claims that the average driver pays an annual premium of almost £800, and under 25s pay £1,400 on average – almost double!
Why do I need temporary car insurance for young drivers?
Whenever you are driving, you need to be insured. And, although you can get annual policies, on the occasion where you are driving a different car for short periods, getting temporary insurance is more cost-effective and quicker.
When would I need temporary car insurance for young drivers?
- you are test driving a car before purchase
- you are borrowing a car for an errand/journey
- you are practising driving in a borrowed car after passing your test
- you are borrowing a larger vehicle for a house move or road trip
- you are sharing the driving on a long trip
- you have a gap between your annual policy ending and another starting
- you are taking a new car home after purchase
If you are currently a learner driver and want to learn to drive in your own car, or a friend or relatives, our provisional driver insurance is available for those 17 and above and can be arranged for everything from one hour, to one month.
What are the benefits of temporary car insurance?
Whether you only need day insurance for under 21s or are looking for something a little longer, there are plenty of benefits to a temporary policy.
Benefits of temp car cover for young drivers:
- your No Claims Discount won’t be affected if you have an accident
- the car owner’s No Claims Bonus won’t be affected in the case of an accident
- all cover is fully comprehensive
- cover can be set up in as little as 15 minutes
- cover can be pre-arranged
Can you get temporary car insurance if you are under 21?
Yes, our comprehensive cover is perfect for most drivers aged 18 – 21. All you need to provide is your name, date of birth, email address, the car registration and your driving licence number. The process is quick and easy, can be organised before the cover needs to start or on the day, and makes light work of arranging short insurance cover for under 21s.
Can you get temporary car insurance for 17 and 18-year-olds?
Yes, our temporary insurance options are perfect for 17 and 18-year-olds. When young drivers pass their test, insurance rates can be high and when you don’t need car cover all year round, it can feel like an especially bad deal. But short term car insurance means that you just get insurance for the times you need, helping to save money.
How much is temporary car insurance if I am under 21?
The price of your policy can change depending on a range of factors, including your location, your occupation and the car you drive. The best way to know how much temporary insurance will be is to get a quote price for the length of time you need.
How to get under 21 temp car insurance?
Getting short term car insurance when you are aged under 21 is a simple process. To receive a quote, all you’ll need is:
- your name, DOB, address and email
- the registration number of the car you want to insure
- your driving licence number (and passport number for those from outside of the UK, including those from Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man)
You’ll also need to tell us the length of time you want cover for, when it needs to start and whether you want any add-ons, like breakdown cover.
Then, once you’ve received your quote you can purchase it using a debit card, credit card or PayPal.