We’ve launched a new and improved app – Click here find out more

European travel cover

Need help with your Green Card?

From getting your Green Card to whether your car insurance is valid, we answer your most common questions.

Europe travel

European travel FAQs

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is issued by the driver’s insurer and acts as evidence that the minimum legal cover required is in force for the country visited whilst driving outside the UK. The Green Card is a physical document which is printed on green paper and cannot be issued in an electronic format.

Can you insure me to drive aboard?

Yes. Our insurance includes third-party cover for a trip to countries within the EU, the EEA and Switzerland automatically – as long as the car is in the UK when the insurance starts and finishes.

You may upgrade this cover to comprehensive cover when you’re completing the application.

We can’t provide insurance to you in a country outside of the EU, EEA and Switzerland. Please click here to confirm which countries are in the EU and EEA.

A ‘Green Card’ will be required if you are driving your vehicle in the EU on or after 1 January 2021 and Dayinsure will require at least 28 days’ notice to issue you with a Green Card if one is required.

Which countries are in the EU and EEA?

A list of EEA countries is available here

Countries in the EU and EEA

The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 28 countries. It operates an internal (or single) market which allows free movement of goods, capital, services and people between member states.

EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

The European Economic Area (EEA):

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market – this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

I am travelling to the European Union by car. Will my car insurance be valid?

UK law requires that your motor insurance includes third party cover when driving in the European Union.

Your policy will provide cover for driving in the EU, but it will be necessary for you to obtain a Green Card and an International Driving Permit to show in the event of a documentation check.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance, issued by UK insurers to say that the necessary third-party cover is in place for the country being travelled to.

If you are planning to be driving your vehicle in the EU on or after 1 January 2021, please contact us at least 28 days before you plan to travel so we can understand your needs and issue you with a Green Card if you require one.

More information on how to obtain an International Driving Permit can be obtained from here.

I’m travelling from Northern Ireland to Ireland. Will I need a Green Card?

Yes. Any vehicle driving across the Northern Irish border will require a Green Card.

Get in touch with support@dayinsure.com at least 28 days before you plan to travel so we can understand your needs and issue you with a Green Card.

How do I get a Green Card?

If you’re planning to drive your vehicle in the EU, EEA or Switzerland on or after 1 January 2021. Please email: support@dayinsure.com at least 28 days before you plan to travel so that we can understand your needs and if required, issue you with a Green Card.

Where can I get more information?

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has issued a helpful document which addresses further questions on Green Cards and insurance requirements when driving abroad. Visit here for more information.

What if I travel without a Green Card?

You will be breaking the law. If you do attempt to drive you may be accused of driving without insurance and could be subject to a fine, having your vehicle seized or prosecution.

The only other legal option would be to purchase insurance locally when you arrive in the country (often known as ‘frontier insurance’). However, such insurance cover may not be widely available and may be more expensive than UK-issued policies.

How much will it cost to get a Green Card?

A £10.00 administration fee will be charged to cover the costs associated with the issuing and posting of the Green Card documents.

Can the Green Card be sent electronically?

No, under current international rules, the Green Card is a legal document which is printed on green paper. The original physical copy of the document must be carried with you when you travel.

How long does a Green Card last?

Green Cards are normally valid for 15 days. However, if you are going to be travelling abroad for longer than 15 days, let us know and we may be able to extend it.

I will be towing a trailer / caravan. What do I need to do?

You need to tell us when you request a Green Card from us. You need to provide us with as much information as you can about the vehicle you will be towing. Dayinsure will then issue you with two Green Cards. One for the vehicle you will be driving and one for the trailer/caravan you will be towing.