We’ve launched a new and improved app – Click here find out more

Coronavirus car insurance and driving FAQs

From how COVID-19 can affect your car insurance to whether you can refuel whilst self-isolating, here are the questions you want answers to.

Phone screen showing insurance quote

Coronavirus car insurance FAQs

How can coronavirus affect my car insurance?

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic probably won’t affect your annual car insurance policy. With lockdown restrictions easing, we are likely to be driving more than in the past year so it could be wise to look over your insurance policy and remind yourself of your terms.

There may also be times that your insurance needs to be changed due to the pandemic, whether turning over a car for a friend who is self-isolating, using a personal car for business or sharing the driving on your own car on a UK road trip.

For these instances, our temporary car insurance policies can help you. Your annual policy may insure you to drive other cars (or other’s people’s policies may cover them to drive yours), but this will likely only be the most basic of insurance. With our cover, you get a comprehensive policy that can give you peace of mind that if an accident happens, you are in the best position possible.

What is Dayinsure doing during this time?

All our staff are continuing to work remotely, and the business is still fully operational. If you plan to take out a policy, nothing has changed. It can still be done online in as little as 15 minutes.

It’s now easier than ever to take out one of our temporary insurance policies. With our recently launched Dayinsure car insurance app, you’ll be able to take out a policy on the go and quicker than ever as your information will pre-save.

If you have any questions, our customer services team are available by email: support@dayinsure.com or phone: 0333 005 0944 from 9 am – 5 pm Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays; and 9 am – 4 pm on Fridays and Sundays. On Saturday and Sunday, our phone lines are closed for lunch between 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm.

I plan on volunteering to drive for a voluntary organisation/charity in my personal vehicle. What cover do I need?

If you plan to volunteer your time during the pandemic and drive for a voluntary organisation or charity to help relieve some pressure, a normal motoring policy should cover you to do this, but this depends on your annual insurance company.

If you find your annual policy doesn’t cover you for volunteering, then a normal temporary car insurance policy with Dayinsure will ensure you are covered.

If I have to drive to work now instead of taking public transport, will my insurance cover me?

We understand that during the pandemic, many people have decided to start commuting in their own vehicles rather than take public transport. If your annual policy covers you for commuting, you will be covered to drive to work instead of taking public transport. If it doesn’t, we can offer temporary business insurance that can start in as little as 15 minutes.

If I have to self-isolate, can I pause my annual car insurance?

All cars that are not listed as SORN (officially off the road) or kept and used solely on private land must be insured, so you won’t be able to pause your annual insurance if you are self-isolating. However, you can get in touch with your annual provider if you will not be driving for a while to see how they might be able to support you.

Coronavirus driving FAQs

What happens if I break down?

If you break down while on the road, you won’t see any difference in service from your breakdown cover provider. Most of the major breakdown companies have ensured all their mechanics only come to work if feeling fit and well. They are all briefed on the latest hygiene advice and equipped with cleaning products, masks, gloves and hand sanitisers.

If you have temp cover with us and wonder what will happen if you break down during the pandemic, please check the RAC’s website for their latest information.

Am I able to have driving lessons and book a driving theory or practical test?

All driving lessons, theory tests and practical tests are now allowed to resume across the UK.  However, be aware that, if you want to book a theory or practical test there is likely to be a backlog and you may find that wait times are longer than usual.

There has also been guidance on lessons and tests:

  • Driving lessons – Driving lessons are now permitted across the UK. In England, you and your instructor can choose whether or not to wear a face covering. In Scotland and Wales both driver and instructor should wear a mask during the lesson. In Scotland, you can be fined if you do not wear a face covering during your lesson (unless exempt).
  • Theory tests – Theory tests are now being taken again and anyone whose test was suspended during the pandemic should have received a notification that they can now rebook. You should not attend your theory test if someone you live with has coronavirus symptoms or you’ve been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, or you’ve recently returned from a foreign country. In any of these cases, you can change your test date for free.
  • Practical tests – Practical tests are also continuing. As with a theory test, if your previous booking was suspended you should have received a notification about a rescheduled date. If your driving instructor booked the test for you, they will receive this. You must wear a face covering unless you have a special exemption, which you must declare when booking your test. If you do not have a face covering and haven’t declared this when booking, your test will be cancelled. If you are found to have made a serious or dangerous fault during your test that will result in failure, the examiner will end the test early to limit the amount of time spent in the car. You are asked not to arrive for your test more than five minutes before its start time.

For other types of tests and lessons, you can find the current government rules on driving tests here.

Can I still refuel when self-isolating?

When you have been instructed to self-isolate, you must do so by law and can be fined if you do not follow the rules. So, during this time, you should not be leaving the house or refuelling your car. If your car needs to be turned over or refuelled while you are self-isolating, we encourage you to ask a friend or family member to do this (making sure they are comprehensively covered to do this with temporary car insurance).

If you are not self-isolating but just looking for advice on how to make refuelling as safe as possible, there are some things you can do. If you need to refuel, most supermarket filling stations have self-service pumps that allow you to fuel up and pay without needing to go inside. These are a great option for limiting human contact. Equally, for those with an electric car using a public pump, you can usually pay by app, which is preferable.

We suggest you keep a pair of gloves in the car for refuelling or use any gloves available on the forecourt. You can then dispose of these at a bin on the forecourt before returning to the road.

Can I drive for a holiday in the UK?

All holiday accommodation around the UK is now open, including hotels and B&Bs. You can now drive for a holiday in the UK provided you’re abiding by the latest COVID-19 restrictions for the area you’re visiting.

Borrowing a motorhome from friends or family to have a safe and distanced staycation, we can offer easy-to-organise temporary motorhome insurance to get you covered for your trip.

Can I drive for a holiday outside the UK?

As of 17th of May 2021, there are no longer legal restrictions or permitted reasons required for travelling internationally. Instead, a traffic-light system has been put in place which offers different rules for returning to the UK depending on the country you travel to. You can see a full list of the countries and their restrictions here.

Due to variants of the virus emerging around the world at different times and different countries’ responses to the pandemic, we expect that the rules on international travel will continue to change for some time. So, from time to time before and during your trip, be sure to check which list the country you are travelling to.