We’ve launched a new and improved app – Click here find out more

Expat family returning to UK

Temporary car insurance for expats

People who have emigrated and no longer live in the UK, but return to visit friends, family or for a holiday often have no option but to hire a vehicle during their stay in the UK or borrow a car from family and get added as an additional driver on the car owner’s annual policy. This can prove difficult without a UK address, without risk to the annual car policy’s no claims bonus and can be a time-consuming phone call to the insurer.

A similar problem arises for those UK citizens who work abroad most of the year or serve in the armed forces outside the UK. A temporary car insurance solution may be a better way for all these types of individuals looking to get vehicle insurance cover for short periods when they return to the UK, and as an added bonus, the cover can be bought and planned way ahead of the visit.

What can I use temporary expat car insurance for?

When it comes to our range of cheap temp cover, there are a variety of great uses. Whether you want to be able to split the driving with a friend or family member when back in the country, borrow a car in the UK for a month-long road trip or just get hourly insurance to pop to the shops one day in a borrowed vehicle, we can help.

And, if you are in the UK for business, don’t fear as we can also offer temporary business car insurance meaning your trip is covered, whether commuting, visiting a client or attending off-site meetings.

If you are not sure whether you will need business car insurance during your visit, make sure to read our article called ‘Do I need business car insurance?’ Hopefully, any questions you have will be answered so you can make an appropriate decision before your return to the UK.

How to get car insurance as an expat

Loading suitcases into car that has temporary car insurance for expats

Who is eligible for temporary car insurance?

Anyone with a full UK, EU, EEA, Australian, New Zealand, South African or Swiss driving license is eligible for expat insurance. Drivers should also be aged between 18 and 75 and have a current permanent address.

For more information on who is eligible for insurance, be sure to consult our car insurance acceptance criteria.

What do I need to get temporary car insurance?

Beyond a licence from one of the territories mentioned above, there are a number of things you will need to provide to UK insurers if you would like to get temporary car insurance. The main details include:

  • your full name (as it appears on your driving licence)
  • your date of birth
  • you permanent, home address
  • your occupation
  • your email address
  • the registration of the car you want to drive
  • your driving licence number

To learn more, read our guide ‘What do you need to insure a car

Which vehicles can be covered by short term car insurance for expats?

Whatever model you are borrowing from a friend or family member, you’ll likely be able to insure it. Cover is available for most UK registered cars and vans, as well as most non-American model motorhomes.

If you are planning on driving multiple vehicles whilst visiting the UK, you can take out standalone policies on each separate vehicle to cover yourself.

At present, we are unable to offer temporary car insurance for rental vehicles, vehicles with a market value of £75,000 or above and vehicles with more than 8 seats.

For more information on the exact vehicle restrictions in place, be sure to consult our car insurance acceptance criteria.

What length of time can I be covered for?

The great thing about temporary car insurance is that it can be adapted to suit your exact needs. Whether you are looking for monthly insurance quotes or just need comprehensive cover for the day, we are able to help.

Book up to 30 days in one booking or as little as one hour, subject to a maximum of 112 days in any rolling 12-month period. So, whether you just need to drive for a short trip, or you want to borrow a car to explore the UK, we’ve got you covered.

What does temporary expat insurance cover?

All of our temporary car insurance cover for expats includes comprehensive cover and free legal expenses cover to ensure you are taken care of in the event of an incident which is not your fault.

With free RAC Motor Legal Expenses as part of the package, you can have peace of mind in the event of an accident occurring. You can also choose to add RAC Breakdown Cover for extra coverage.

The RAC Legal Services team is available 24 hours a day during the period of cover, to give you legal advice should you need it. It offers a great new service to the expat community at a cost-effective price and is designed to cover your journeys to the UK to see friends and family. Any incident is covered on the short-term policy and does not affect the no claims bonuses on any annual car policy.

Help and support for expats driving in the UK

If it has been a long time since you have driven in the UK and had to get UK car insurance, we have you covered. We have published a wide selection of helpful articles on numerous topics. For example, perhaps you haven’t driven on a UK motorway for many years, well, why not brush up on your knowledge with our article ‘A beginner’s guide to motorway driving’? You can find more articles like this on our news page and guides all about UK car insurance in our help and support section.